Tuesday, May 12, 2009

LET'S TALK BRAXTON HICKS.....

So it turns out that my uterus is apparently just as competitive as I am in my athletic life. Just as I used to run daily to practice for upcoming runs and marathons, my uterus practices daily for the upcoming labor. I swear at least once a day my uterus painlessly contracts and becomes like a rock in my abdomen. It freaked me out at first, and then I thought maybe it was the baby just pushing against me, and finally with research I came to learn that what I was experiencing were the ever famous braxton hicks contractions. I admit that it seems very early for such contractions, especially since I started experiencing them at 16 weeks, but it turns out that the uterus starts practicing like this as early as 7 weeks. Most people just can't feel them. I, however, can. My midwife says it's completely normal, and since I'm not experiencing any pain, patterns, or predictability (the three p's) I feel confidant that my uterus is just "getting in shape" for the big day. What a determined little organ!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment