Tuesday, June 9, 2009

WE'VE STARTED OUR CHILDBIRTH CLASSES!!!

Now that we are more than half way on our way to meeting baby Miles, we decided that it was time to get educated on what the heck it is that we are doing. We spent a little time researching our different options for childbirth education classes including Lamaze, Hypnobirthing, Bradley, and few others. I thought that we would end up trying hypnobirthing, but our midwife made some pretty convincing arguments for Bradley and we have decided that Bradley will be our method. We also decided that we will supplement Bradley with a book on hypnobirthing and some educational CD's. For now, however, we have begun taking classes with a wonderful couple in Van Nuys and are really enjoying the whole process of learning how to take care of me, the baby, and how to birth the baby. The whole concept of the Bradley Method is Husband Coached Childbirth with an emphasis on relaxation and deep breathing. I really liked the deep breathing approach to childbirth versus Lamaze's shallow and short breaths (the hee hee hew method). I felt that the Bradley method was much more intuitive and I really liked the fact that they also emphasize nutrition throughout the 12 week course. They are also very big on the importance of the husband's role throughout the entire 10 month process and how the father's participation and presence can greatly enhance the childbirth experience. We are already 4 weeks into classes and loving it. It's so wonderful to have these classes to share together. There's something to be said about having those 2 hours a week where we both let go of all of the things going on our lives and dedicate ourselves to focusing entirely on us, the baby, and the process. I'm learning so much about Jason through this process as well. I always knew that he would be a great partner through this process, but these classes are opening my eyes up to the fact that he is the one and only for me. He knows me. He really truly knows me, and he gets me. Just his presence soothes me and when I am feeling unsure or worried about something he eases my fears. He's also my biggest supporter. Know one believes in me more than Jason does and it feels so good to know that he believes in me. And I'm also learning just how much he loves me and the baby. These classes are fantastic and so worth the time and money spent to not only learn about the process and how to respond but to also learn so much more about myself, my husband and coach, and our baby. Tonight we focus on stage one of labor and the coaches role in it. So cool!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment